NORTH CANTON, Ohio – The Walsh Cavaliers women's basketball team will take their six game winning streak down the street for the yearly Mayors' Cup matchup with the Malone Pioneers on Saturday (Feb. 23) afternoon.
Walsh leads the overall series with the Pioneers 45-36 since the first meeting in 1979. The Mayors' Cup was first contested in the 1996-97 season, and the Cavaliers have won 13 of 22 matchups for the trophy. Walsh topped Malone 76-56 earlier this season at home, the third straight win for the Cavs.
- Walsh won their sixth straight game in an 84-72 over Kentucky Wesleyan on Saturday (Feb. 23), the top team in the conference.
- The Cavaliers have a six-game winning streak, the longest since an eight-game win streak last season. They are 19-6 overall and 15-4 in the conference.
- Quionche Carter went off for 21 points, 12 rebounds and five steals against the Panthers, setting career-highs in rebounds and steals. She was named G-MAC Player of the Week for the second time this season after she averaged 20 points, 8.5 rebounds and three steals per game last week in two key wins for the Cavaliers. She shot 48.2% (14-29) from the floor and 78.5% (11-14) from the free throw line. Overall, Carter is second in the conference with 16.8 points per game.
- Mayci Sales shot nine-of-11 from the floor, finishing with 20 points and seven rebounds. For the season, Sales is leading the conference in field goal percentage, shooting 53.8%. She also leads the conference with 33 blocks this season. Her 6.3 rebounds are 7th best in the conference.
- Kimmie Borck added 18 points off the bench with four three pointers. She is second on the team with 29 three pointers this season.
- Brittni Clopton and Jill Blacksten each had seven and eight rebounds for the Cavaliers, respectively. Clopton has 100 total rebounds and Blacksten has 121 rebounds for the year.
- On the Cavaliers' six game winning streak, Walsh has outscored opponents 75.1-53.0 in the five games. They are winning by 22.1 points per contest.
- They lead the conference in field goals made (711), assists (387) and offensive rebounds (346).
- Right now, Walsh is holding the second seed, half a game behind Kentucky Wesleyan with three games to go on the schedule.
- Defensively, the Cavaliers have held opponents to shooting 37.9% overall and 29.8% from deep. They rank second in field goal defense and first in three point field goal defense.
- Malone is 13-12 overall and 11-8 within the G-MAC this season. In their last game, Malone knocked off Kentucky Wesleyan 75-72, snapping the Panthers' 15 game winning streak. They have won five straight games, leading back to January 31st.
- The Pioneers are 6-4 at home this season, winning the last five home games.
- Robin Campbell leads the Pioneers and is fourth in the conference with 14.6 points per game in a conference-best 36.2 minutes per game. She leads the conference with assists with 4.5 per game.
- Chrissie Vaughan is second on the team with 9.3 points per game.
- The Pioneers leads the conference in scoring defense and field goal defense %. They allow 61.3 points per game and allow teams to shoot 37.7%.
|Free Throw %||70.8%||8th||74.8%||2nd|
|Field Goal %||45.2%||2nd||38.0%||11th|
|Field Goal % Defense||37.9%||2nd||37.7%||1st|
|3 Point %||33.2%||5th||32.3%||6th|
|3 Point Defense %||29.8%||1st||30.1%||4th|
|3 Point FG Made||6.8||7th||8.3||4th|
AROUND THE LEAGUE
- Lake Erie @ Tiffin
- Alderson Broaddus @ Kentucky Wesleyan
- Ursuline @ Cedarville
- Findlay @ Ohio Valley
- Walsh @ Malone
- Hillsdale @ Ohio Dominican
- Davis & Elkins @ Trevecca Nazarene
The Cavaliers will host the Storm of Lake Erie on Thursday (Feb. 28) night at 5:30 PM.