NORTH CANTON, Ohio – The Walsh Cavaliers women's basketball team will look to rebound from a close loss to Lake Erie as they return home to Alumni Arena on Thursday (Jan. 24) night. The Cavaliers will host the Alderson Broaddus Battlers in a Great Midwest contest on Beach Night.
Live Stats/Video: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/walsh
Game Notes: HERE
The Cavaliers and Battlers have only met nine times in the series with only three meetings since Walsh joined Division II in 2013. Walsh have won the last three meetings by an average margin of victory of 29 points. Last season, the Cavaliers were victorious by scores of 98-63 and 83-46.
- The Cavaliers saw their five game winning streak snapped in a 67-66 loss at Lake Erie on Monday (Jan. 21) afternoon.
- Kimmie Borck went off from the bench role as she tied a career-high 21 points. She knocked down eight-of-13 shots, including four shots from downtown in 30 minutes of play. She has scored 21 points twice this season, both in games off the coast of Lake Erie (Mercyhurst & Lake Erie). In her last two games, Borck has 31 points off the bench.
- Mayci Sales added her second double-double of the season after she scored 15 points and pulled down a career-high 14 rebounds. She is second on the team with 10.6 points per game and leads the team with 6.4 rebounds per contest. Her 6.4 rebounds per game is seventh most in the G-MAC. She averages 2.3 offensive rebounds a game, the eighth most in the conference. Sales is leading the conference block party with 22 blocks (1.6 per game).
- Brittni Clopton had ten points and seven rebounds off the bench against the Storm.
- Quionche Carter enters Thursday as the team's leading scorer and the second top scorer in the conference. She averages 18.2 points per game, behind Findlay's Anna Hintz but Carter has the most points total, 309. She ranks second in the conference with shooting over 50% from the floor. Carter is the highest ranked freshmen in D2 in terms of points per game. She has made 76.9% of her free throws, the seventh most in the G-MAC. With scoring, Carter has been a part of the rebounding front as well. She averages 6.2 rebounds a contest, second on the team and tenth in the league. She averages 2.8 offensive boards, the fifth most in the conference.
- Walsh is the top scoring offense in the conference as they have scored 1,344 points or 79.1 per game. Overall as a team, the Cavaliers have shot 45.1% from the floor (2nd) and 32.8% from three-point range (5th).
- The Cavaliers control the boards as they average the most rebounds in the conference, with 41.8 rebounds. They average 13.5 offensive and 28.3 defensive rebounds per game, both tops among 14 teams. The team grabbed 44 rebounds against the Storm, including 16 offensive.
- Walsh is second in the conference in assists with 15.4 per game. They total 261 assists, with six players with 25 or more. Lexie Scarton has a team-high 44 dimes.
Alderson Broaddus Notes
- Alderson Broaddus is 3-11 overall and 3-8 in the conference this season. The Battlers fell 84-72 at Tiffin last week for their sixth straight loss in 2019. Jeana Witherspoon had a team-high 14 points against the Dragons.
- Weatherspoon is the leading scorer for Roy Boggess with 9.0 points per game. She also averages 5.1 rebounds a game for AB, including 2.2 offensive (ninth in the G-MAC). She leads the team with a 47.8% field goal percentage.
- Yasmin Norman is second on the team in scoring with 8.4 points per game but she leads the women in rebounds per game with 6.9. She ranks fifth in the conference in rebounds and leads the circuit with 3.5 offensive rebounds a game. Norman actually has more offensive (49) rebounds than defensive (48).
- Ta'Sharra Jeffries is tied for fourth in the conference with 1.9 steals per game.
- Alderson Broaddus has scored 850 points, an average of 60.7 per game (12th in the G-MAC) and have allowed 971 points, an average of 69.4 per game (10th in the G-MAC).
- The Battlers are shooting 32.1% for field goals (12th), 31% from three (10th) and 68.9% (9th) from the free throw line.
- They average 9.6 steals a contest, the third most in the conference.
G-MAC Schedule (1/24/19)
- Ohio Valley @ Tiffin
- Ohio Dominican @ Cedarville
- Davis & Elkins @ Malone
- Alderson Broaddus @ Walsh
- Hillsdale @ Kentucky Wesleyan
- Findlay @ Trevecca Nazarene
Walsh will host Davis & Elkins on Saturday (Jan. 26) afternoon at 1:00 PM for the final home game of the month.