NORTH CANTON, Ohio – The Walsh Cavaliers men's basketball team will take on the Lake Erie College Storm on Thursday (Feb. 28) night at 7:30 PM for the final regular season game before the Great Midwest Athletic Conference Tournament, beginning on Tuesday (March 5).
Seniors Will Parker and Brenden Wilkins will be honored prior to tip-off for Senior Night.
The Cavaliers have faced the Storm once already this season and 25 times in the series between the two Ohio schools, dating back to 1988. Walsh is 20-5 against Lake Erie, despite Lake Erie currently holding a four game winning streak against the Cavaliers. The Storm prevailed 68-63 in Painesville one month ago.
- The Cavaliers won their ninth straight game with a 75-61 win over rival Malone on Saturday (Feb. 23). They currently have the longest winning streak since the 2010-11 season (26 games)
- Walsh is now 20-7 overall and 15-4 in the conference heading into the regular season finale against the Storm. The Cavaliers have their first 20-win season since the 2013-14 campaign.
- Sterling Christy nearly had a triple-double against Malone as he had 19 points, 14 rebounds and seven assists. For his efforts, he was named G-MAC Player of the Week on Monday. He made seven of ten shots from the floor. He is just shy of a double-double for the season with 13.6 points and 9.8 rebounds per game. In the G-MAC, Christy is third in rebounds per game, second in total rebounds (264) and second in field goal percentage (57.2%). He is 14th in Division II for total rebounds.
- Darryl Straughter led the Cavaliers with 23 points, shooting eight-of-12 overall and six-of-seven from the free throw line. He has scored 20 or more points nine times this season. Straughter is averaging 15.8 points per game, tenth most in the G-MAC. He leads the team and the conference with 81 three pointers for the 2018-19 campaign. He is the best free-throw shooter in the league, shooting 90.2% from the charity stripe.
- JT Shumate scored 11 points against Malone. He is second in the conference with an average of 19 points a game. The freshman is shooting 53.1% from the floor and 44.7% from deep, fifth and second in the conference, respectively.
- The team shot 59.2% overall (29-49) despite shooting 14.3% (2-14) from behind the arc. When shooting over 50%, the Cavaliers are a perfect 12-0.
- On their nine game winning streak, Walsh has only trailed by no more than seven and has trailed for only 12 minutes out of 360 possible minutes.
- The Cavaliers are currently two games behind Findlay in the loss column in second place.
- As a team, they are fifth in Division II in personal fouls per game, tenth in turnovers a game, and eighth for defensive rebounds per contest.
- Walsh is averaging 79.7 points, with a 47.3% shooting percentage. On the other side of the coin, the Cavaliers are allowing 65.3 points and a shooting percentage of 40.1%.
- The team leads the conference in the following categories: three pointers made (294), three pointers attempted (768) and rebounds (1,074).
LAKE ERIE NOTES
- Lake Erie has a 2018-19 record of 16-10 and a conference mark of 11-7. The Storm defeated Tiffin 87-76 on Saturday (Feb. 23).
- Gabe Kynard leads the Storm with an 18.5 points per game average, the third highest in the conference. He is second in minutes played (33.2), sixth in three point % (42%) and eighth in steals per game (1.5).
- Brogan Scott is the leading rebounder as he has 140 total rebounds (5.4 per game). He also averages 8.5 points per game.
- Erron James is third in the conference with 1.9 steals per game and averages 9.5 points per game.
- Lake Erie averages 72.4 points per game while shooting 42.4% overall. They allow 67.7 points per game and opponents are shooting 42.4% from the floor.
|Free Throw %||61.7%||13th||63.5%||11th|
|Field Goal %||47.3%||3rd||42.4%||11th|
|Field Goal % Defense||40.1%||1st||42.4%||3rd|
|3 Point %||38.3%||3rd||30.8%||13th|
|3 Point Defense %||32.6%||1st||33.3%||3rd|
|3 Point FG Made||10.9||1st||7.2||13th|
AROUND THE LEAGUE
- Tiffin @ Alderson Broaddus
- Trevecca Nazarene @ Hillsdale
- Lake Erie @ Walsh
- Kentucky Wesleyan @ Findlay
- Cedarville @ Davis & Elkins
The Cavaliers will host a Great Midwest quarterfinal on Tuesday (March 5). The opponent will be announced Saturday when the bracket is finalized.