NORTH CANTON, Ohio – The Walsh Cavaliers men's basketball team will look to avenge an early-season loss to the Malone Pioneers on Saturday (Feb. 23) as the Cavaliers will put their eight-game win streak on the line at 3:00 PM.
Walsh leads the overall series with the Pioneers 77-41 since the first meeting in 1965. The Cavaliers are 35-19 in Mayors' Cup battles, including the last 11 matchups. Walsh can retire the Mayors' Cup for the fourth straight time with a win on Saturday. Malone snapped a 13 game winning streak with a 69-62 win over Walsh at Alumni Arena in January.
- The Cavaliers won their eighth straight game with an 81-60 win over Kentucky Wesleyan on Saturday (Feb. 16). Walsh now has the longest winning streak since the Cavaliers won 26 straight in the 2010-11 season.
- Walsh is now 19-7 overall and 14-4 in the conference with two games to go in the regular season.
- JT Shumate scored 28 points, a game-high as he added five three pointers in the game. The freshman has scored 20 or more points in 12 of 26 games this season. He is second in the conference with 19.3 points per game. He is second and fourth in three-point percentage (45%) and field goal percentage (53.1%), respectively.
- Darryl Straughter set a career-high with 28 points on seven field goals (five threes) and six free throws. He also grabbed eight rebounds, tying a career-high as well. He is the best free throw shooter in terms of percentage (90.7%) in the conference and eighth in D2. He leads the conference with 80 threes this season.
- Sterling Christy gained his seventh double-double of the season with 12 points and ten rebounds. He averages 13.3 points and 9.6 rebounds per game. He is third in rebounds per game in the G-MAC.
- Walsh led by 14 at halftime, improving their record to 18-3 when leading at the break.
- The Cavaliers are currently two games behind Findlay in the loss column in second place.
- Walsh leads the conference in the following categories: three pointers made (292), three point attempts (754), rebounds (1,029) and defensive rebounds (771).
- In Division II, Walsh is fourth in personal fouls per game (13.2).
- Malone is 15-11 overall and 9-9 within the G-MAC this season. In their last game, Malone defeated Kentucky Christian 82-73 for their second straight win.
- The Pioneers are 9-4 at home this season, winning the last two home games.
- Nate Sheppard leads the team and the conference with 19.6 points per game.
- Bryce Butler is second on the team in scoring with 15.2 points per game and is first on the team with 45.7% from three point land.
- Marcus Ernst is the team leader in rebounds per game with 8.6 and sixth in the conference.
- The Pioneers are shooting 45.2% overall and 36.7% from deep.
|Free Throw %||62.1%||12th||62.0%||13th|
|Field Goal %||46.9%||4th||45.2%||7th|
|Field Goal % Defense||40.2%||1st||44.2%||7th|
|3 Point %||38.7%||3rd||36.7%||6th|
|3 Point Defense %||32.6%||1st||34.7%||6th|
|3 Point FG Made||11.2||1st||8.9||5th|
AROUND THE LEAGUE
- Lake Erie @ Tiffin
- Alderson Broaddus @ Kentucky Wesleyan
- Findlay @ Ohio Valley
- Walsh @ Malone
- Hillsdale @ Ohio Dominican
- Davis & Elkins @ Trevecca Nazarene
Walsh will return to Alumni Arena and Lake Erie on Thursday (Feb. 28) at 7:30 PM.