NORTH CANTON, Ohio- The Walsh Cavaliers men's basketball team will step away from conference play for one night to host the Wilberforce University Bulldogs, an NAIA school, on Tuesday (Jan. 15) night at Alumni Arena.
Live Stats/Video: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/walsh/
Game Notes: Click here
Tuesday will be the 28th meeting between the two teams dating back to 1966. Walsh has won 23 of the 27 matchups, including 15 consecutive games. In the last four matchups with the Bulldogs, the Cavaliers have scored at least 104 points.
- Walsh fell to 10-6 overall after a 69-62 defeat to rival Malone on Saturday (Jan. 12) at Alumni Arena.
- JT Shumate led the Cavaliers with 22 points, which was his 15th double-digit scoring game of the season. He shot 50% (9-18) from the floor and was 50% (2-4) from the three point arc. He added three assists and three blocks to his stat line. Shumate is second in the conference with 18.9 points per game, behind Malone's Nate Sheppard.
- Sterling Christy added his fifth double-double of the season as he scored 16 points and grabbed ten rebounds, all on the defensive end. Christy is averaging 13.3 points per game and is second in the conference with 9.8 rebounds per game. He ranks second with a 56.3% (90-160) shooting percentage. He ranks fifth in the nation with 7.81 defensive rebounds a game and is tenth in DII with 156 total rebounds this season.
- Darryl Straughter is second on the team with 16.1 points per game in a conference-high 33.8 minutes per game. He is shooting 90.9% (50-55) from the free throw line, which is third best in the conference.
- Walsh is the fifth-best scoring defense in the conference with an average of 78.0 points while the defense is allowing 68.6 points per game, the second-best in the G-MAC. The defense is holding opponents to 41% shooting, the top mark in the conference.
- After taking 20 three point shots on Saturday, Walsh is still 12th in DII with 465 three point attempts and is 18th with 169 of them made.
- The Cavaliers are 8-1 at home so far this season.
- The Bulldogs are 3-11 overall this season. The last game that was played was on December 30th, a 91-44 exhibition loss to North Carolina Central.
- Wilberforce have lost ten straight matchups, dating back to November 3rd.
The Cavaliers are the only G-MAC school in action on Tuesday, as conference play resumes Thursday (Jan. 17) for some teams.
Walsh will travel to Painesville, Ohio for a G-MAC matchup with the Lake Erie College Storm on Saturday (Jan. 19) afternoon.