NORTH CANTON, Ohio – For the first time since 2010-11, the Walsh Cavaliers women's basketball team will be competing in a national tournament. This time, it will be the NCAA Division II National Tournament.
As the seventh seed, Walsh will face the second seeded Lewis Flyers, from the Great Lakes Valley Conference, in the first round of the NCAA D2 Midwest Regional on Friday (March 15) at 3:30 PM Eastern.
- The Cavaliers followed up their regular season co-championship with a Great Midwest Athletic Conference tournament title last week, following through on being the number one seed.
- Walsh defeated Trevecca Nazarene 64-52 in the quarterfinals, before surviving a late semifinal scare from Hillsdale, 72-70. In the final, the Cavaliers defeated Kentucky Wesleyan 84-68 after locking down the conference's top offense to nine points in the fourth quarter.
- Overall, the Cavaliers have won 12 straight contests, dating back to January 31st.
- After joining Division II in the 2012-13 season, Walsh advanced to the big dance for the first time in school history.
- Quionche Carter, an All-Conference First Team selection, was named Athlete of the Week for the Tournament. She averaged 21 points and six rebounds in each of the three games that Walsh won. In the quarterfinal, Carter scored 15 points before scoring 22 in the semis and 26 in the finals. Carter shot 12-of-15 from the floor against Kentucky Wesleyan, sealing the Cavaliers' dance invitation.
- For the season, Carter was second in the conference with 16.9 points per game and a shooting percentage of 51.4%.
- Walsh has won 25 games this season, the most since joining Division II. This season is the winningest season since the 2010-11 season when the team advanced to the NAIA Semifinals.
- Since joining D2, Walsh is 6-4 in postseason play.
- Lewis is 26-4 overall and ranked 20th by the Women's Basketball Coaches Association and 21st by D2SIDA.
- The Flyers fell 66-65 to Bellarmine in the GLVC Semifinals, earning an at-large bid for the NCAA Division II Tournament.
- Jessica Kelliher leads the Flyers and the GLVC with 24.3 points per game and is the team leader with 9.8 rebounds a contest. Kelliher was the GLVC Player of the Year (three-time winner) and the active leading scorer for the GLVC and Division II.
- Lewis is fourth in all of Division II with a shooting percentage of 48.7%.
|Walsh (G-MAC)||Lewis (GLVC)|
|Free Throw %||71.7%||8th||72.9%||7th|
|Field Goal %||45.1%||2nd||48.7%||1st|
|Field Goal % Defense||37.8%||2nd||37.9%||1st|
|3 Point %||33.2%||5th||33.3%||5th|
|3 Point Defense %||31.0%||T-2nd||29.3%||2nd|
|3 Point FG Made||6.7||7th||6.1||7th|
The winner of the 2 vs. 7 matchup will face the winner of the Grand Valley State (3) vs. Truman (6) on Saturday (March 16) at 6:00 PM.