NORTH CANTON, Ohio – The Walsh Cavaliers men's basketball team will embark on a new journey this week – competing in the NCAA Division II Tournament. For the first time since joining Division II, the Cavaliers will be playing in the Midwest Regional this weekend.
Walsh, as a number seven seed, will take on the second seeded Knights of Bellarmine University at 3:30 PM on Saturday (March 16) at Lewis University.
- Walsh won the 2018-19 Great Midwest Athletic Conference Tournament with a 58-52 win in overtime against the number six team in the country, Findlay, on Saturday (March 9).
- This is the first NCAA Tournament appearance since the Cavaliers went Division II in the 2012-13 season.
- With a 25-6 record, the Cavs have the most wins since the 2011-12 season when they won the Ohio Independent Conference Tournament.
- In the defensive battle with Findlay, JT Shumate and Darryl Straughter battled tough shooting days with 16 and 14 points, respectively. The two combined to shoot 12-39 overall and 2-18 from deep.
- Sterling Christy had his 11th double-double of the year with ten points and 13 rebounds.
- Walsh led at halftime in both games, improving to 23-3 when leading at intermission.
- On the current 13-game winning streak, Walsh has only trailed by no more than seven and has trailed for only 26:21 out of 525 possible minutes.
- JT Shumate was named Freshman of the Year and All-Conference First Team last week. Sterling Christy earned All-Conference Second Team and All-Defense Team accolades while Darryl Straughter was All-Conference Second Team.
- Walsh is one of four teams in the Midwest Regional and 19 teams in the field of 64 with both the men's and women's basketball teams participating.
- Bellarmine is 26-4 overall after they won the Great Lakes Valley Conference tournament 65-48 over Drury last week.
- The Knights have won five straight games and is currently the seventh-ranked team in the country, according to the National Association of Basketball Coaches Division II Poll.
- This is the 19th appearance in the tournament for the Knights, including the last 11 years.
- They have met Walsh once before on February 21, 1975 with Bellarmine winning 97-95.
- They rank first in Division II in field goal percentage (54.7%) and seventh in Division II with 80.1% free throw percentage.
- Adam Eberhard leads the Knights with 17.4 points per game and 4.4 assists per game.
|Walsh (G-MAC)||Bellarmine (GLVC)|
|Free Throw %||62.8%||11th||80.1%||1st|
|Field Goal %||46.8%||5th||54.7%||1st|
|Field Goal % Defense||39.6%||1st||42.1%||1st|
|3 Point %||37.4%||4th||36.7%||T-8th|
|3 Point Defense %||32.9%||1st||34.7%||2nd|
|3 Point FG Made||10.4||1st||6.97||12th|
The winner of the Bellarmine-Walsh matchup will meet the winner of the winner of the Findlay-Drury game on Sunday evening.