NORTH CANTON, Ohio – The Walsh Cavaliers men's basketball team will take on the Malone University Pioneers on Tuesday (March 5) night at 7:30 PM in the quarterfinal of the Great Midwest Athletic Conference Tournament. The Cavaliers enter the tournament as the No. 2 seed, while the Pioneers are slotted as the No. 7 seed.
The Cavaliers have faced the Pioneers twice already this season and 119 times in the overall series between the two Ohio schools, dating back to 1965. Walsh leads the series 78-41. In their first meeting of the season (Jan. 12), Malone prevailed 69-62. Walsh won the second match-up (Feb. 23) 75-61 to keep the Mayors' Cup in the hands of the Cavaliers.
- The Cavaliers won their tenth straight game with a 75-59 win over Lake Erie on Thursday (Feb. 28). They currently have the longest winning streak since the 2010-11 season (26 games)
- Walsh ended regular season play with a record of 21-7 overall and 16-4 in the conference. The Cavaliers have their first 20-win season since the 2013-14 campaign.
- JT Shumate led the Cavaliers with 21 points, shooting seven-of-12 from the field and five-of-six from the free throw line. He is second in the conference with an average of 19.1 points a game. The freshman is shooting 53.2% from the floor and 44.9% from deep, fifth and second in the conference, respectively.
- Sterling Christy produced his third straight double-double with 11 points and 14 rebounds against Lake Erie. He is just shy of a double-double for the season with 13.5 points and 9.9 rebounds per game. In the G-MAC, Christy is second in rebounds per game, second in total rebounds (277) and second in field goal percentage (55.8%). He is 15th in Division II for total rebounds.
- Darryl Straughter scored 19 points against Lake Erie, including going six-of-six from the free throw line. Straughter is averaging 15.9 points per game, ninth most in the G-MAC. He leads the team and conference wih 82 three pointers for the 2018-19 campaign. He is the best free-throw shooter in the league, shooting 90.9% from the charity stripe.
- On their ten game winning streak, Walsh has only trailed by no more than seven and has trailed for only 12 minutes out of 400 possible minutes.
- Walsh is averaging 79.5 points, with a 47% shooting percentage. On the other side of the coin, the Cavaliers are allowing 65.1 points and a shooting percentage of 40.1%.
- The team leads the conference in the following categories: three pointers made (303), three pointers attempted (792) and rebounds (1,112).
- The Cavaliers will be the second seed for the second consecutive year. Last year, the Cavaliers were defeated in the first round by Lake Erie.
- Since joining DII, this is the second conference tournament game at Alumni Arena. The men hosted a conference tournament game in 2014 for the GLIAC Quarterfinals vs. Northwood.
- Malone has a 2018-19 record of 15-13 and a conference mark of 9-11. The Pioneers lost to Lake Erie on Saturday (March 2) 79-71.
- Nate Sheppard leads the Pioneers with 19.4 points per game, which ranks him first in the conference. He ranks third in three pointers with 80 on the season and second in minutes played, averaging 34.3 minutes per game.
- Bryce Butler averages 15.8 points per game, which ranks him twelfth in the G-MAC.
- Marcus Ernst leads the team in rebounds with an 8.3 rebounds per game average, which ranks him sixth in the league.
- Malone averages 73.9 points per game while shooting 44.9% overall. They allow 70.2 points per game and opponents are shooting 45.1% from the floor.
|Free Throw %||62.2%||12th||61.6%||13th|
|Field Goal %||47.0%||4th||44.9%||7th|
|Field Goal % Defense||40.1%||1st||45.1%||8th|
|3 Point %||38.3%||3rd||36.8%||5th|
|3 Point Defense %||33.0%||2nd||34.5%||5th|
|3 Point FG Made||10.8||1st||8.8||5th|
2019 G-MAC Quarterfinals
- No. 8 Alderson Broaddus @ No.1 Findlay
- No. 5 Ohio Dominican @ No. 4 Cedarville
- No. 6 Lake Erie @ No. 3 Hillsdale